суббота, 11 июня 2011 г.

On the plane of an american airline.

            My mom has recently visited me in Seattle. It was her first trip overseas, consequently she had had lots of questions: what is it like to fly american airline? what kind of announcements do flight attendants make? how do you ask for a drink or snack or blanket? Yes, it is damn scary and frustrating, when the plane is shaking and a person in authority loudly proclaims  something in language you hardly understand. 
I put together links and bits of info that I hope would be useful for any non-native english speaker traveling within US on a plane for the first time. Again, use http://translate.google.com
  •  Here you can find airline announcements you can read and listen to.
  •  Video of turbulence announcement.
                Most American airlines(unlike european ones) do not offer complimentary meals on national flights - i'm talking about economy class here. 
Alaskan/Horizon offers free drinks and complimentary snaks(pretzels/peanuts). meals are for purchase starting from $6. 
Delta gives away free non-alcoholic drinks and complimentary snaks. meals starting $4.5.
United will get you complementary non-alcoholic drinks, meals starting at $5.79.
Southwest distributes complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic drinks.
Jetblue hands out complimentary snaks and non-alcoholic drinks, meals for $6.
American airlines offers complimentary non-acloholic drinks, meals starting $6.

                    Now a few handy phrases to use on board:

Could you please help me with my luggage?
I'm afraid this is my seat.
I'm sorry about that
Would you mind trading places with me?
Could I please have some more water/juice/coke, please?
Could I please have a blanket and a pillow?
I need help. Does anyone on the plane speak russian/finnish/french/thai/chinese?
And the most important: I DO NOT SPEAK ENLISH -  go ahead and use it to against a  passenger trying to claim his seat or a chatty seat neighbor on a plane.

By the way, my mom had no problems on the plane, but LAX and SEATAC airports were like greek labyrinths to her, therefore, i'm gonna try to cover airports on sunday or monday.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий